In light of our COVID-19 response plan, getting involved with Greater Indy Habitat looks a little different this spring than it has in the past. While we are temporarily on pause with our on-site volunteer opportunities, there are plenty of ways to get involved and further the mission of Habitat during these uncertain times. Now, more than ever, our mission and homebuyers in the program are reliant on the support of volunteers like you to come alongside of them.
Here is a list of ways that you can get involved with us right from your living room:
- Shelter@Home Selfie: Take a photo of a creative way you are sheltering in place or your favorite part about spending time at home and share it with us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter @IndyHabitat.
- Enews: Looking back at the last couple of weeks, things have been changing fast. Signing up for our enews is quick and easy and lets you receive the latest #IndyHabitat happenings as these next weeks progress. Sign up here. Not sure if you’re getting our messages? Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Make a gift: Our homeowners are nurses, food service workers, daycare providers, airport employees. Some are seeing hours slashed or wages eliminated. Others are working double-time to keep our community safe. As the economic shocks from this crisis ripple out, many of our families will be hit the hardest. In a time when very little is certain, you can help build stability and certainty for your neighbors with a gift to Habitat. Consider making a gift at indyhabitat.org/donate.
- Share a recipe: Do you have a recipe you love to make? Perhaps a family favorite? Send us a link to your favorite recipe and we will pass it along to a Habitat homebuyer so they can begin to create new memories in their first home. Send us a message on social media or an email.
- Watch our history: Looking for a fun family activity while you are spending time inside? Briars in the Cotton Patch is now available on Amazon Prime for free. Watch and learn more about Habitat’s profound beginnings!
- Watch our progress: Check out our YouTube channel. Curious about the heartbeat behind all things #IndyHabitat? Check out this short video to watch more about who we are and what our mission is.
- Create a free will: Do you have an up-to-date will? Creating a will is one of the most impactful ways to support the people and causes you care about. We have partnered with FreeWill to provide you with a tool to create one for free. It is easy to fill out and takes no longer than 25 minutes to complete! Get started by clicking this link.
- Save your spring cleaning donations: Save up your donations and get in the queue to schedule your free donation pick-up once our store locations reopen.
- Refer a friend: Invite a friend or someone you know to our next Homeownership Info Session to discover if Habitat homeownership is right for them!
- Become an HYP: Looking for a super fun and unique way to get involved in the mission of #IndyHabitat?! Check out our Young Professionals group and participate in build days, networking opportunities, fundraising events, & more. Visit indyhabitat.org/yp.
- Give us your feedback!: Just as Jim, our president and CEO, stated, we realize that this is a time to pause on building and volunteer activities. However, this pause is a great time to hear from you! If you have volunteered with us before, complete our brief survey so that we can implement positive changes in our volunteer experience when we’re back and running later this year! Take our survey by clicking here.
- Add to your reading list: Finding extra time on your hands to read? Our “resident reader” and volunteer coordinator, Shana, compiled a list of her top five recommended reads related to the issue of affordable housing. Some books shed light on Habitat’s work but each one will challenge you with a new story or perspective about the importance of a safe and affordable place to call home. Check out the recommendations here. P.S. Have any good books we should add to our list? Let us know!
- Advocate for affordable housing: Did you know 1 in 6 U.S. households pay half or more of their income on housing? Many of these families currently in our homeownership program are feeling the crippling economic effects during these uncertain times as wages are lost or hours are cut. Consider emailing your members of Congress to urge them to continue prioritizing the needs of low-income families and the organizations that work hard to serve them. Click here to send a message.
- Follow us!: Want to stay up-to-date with all things #IndyHabitat? Stay in the know and get a behind-the-scenes look at what we’re up to by following us on social media. Follow us @IndyHabitat on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, and LinkedIn for future updates and even more ways to interact with Habitat and support affordable homeownership!