History & Milestones
Habitat for Humanity International was founded in 1976 by Millard and Linda Fuller. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Indianapolis was started in the summer of 1985. While attempting to assist an elderly woman living in sub-standard conditions, a group of concerned volunteers faced the reality that her home could no longer be repaired – that the home had deteriorated past the point of fixing. Some suggested tearing down the shack and building a new house, a home where the woman could have decent living conditions and in which she could be safe. That was the start of Greater Indy Habitat for Humanity.
Contacting Habitat for Humanity International was the next step. The official affiliate agreement was signed shortly thereafter and this group of dedicated volunteers established themselves as a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Articles of Incorporation were filed with the State of Indiana in July of 1987. The voluntary board then drew up plans and constructed three homes over the next 18 months. Since that time, Greater Indy Habitat has made remarkable progress and has served more than 1000 families globally in relocating from substandard and poverty housing into decent, affordable homes. More than 645 of these families are right here in Greater Indianapolis and 530 families are in Central America.